Sustainable Practices Immersion with Anya Porter
Like nourishing foods and medicinals, the various techniques associated with yoga and meditation are incredibly transformative when applied with care and discernment; curiosity and intuition. In the same vein, different constitutions and bodies do not respond in identical ways to the same techniques or practices. This can also fluctuate over time based on season, stage of life, or other internal or external factors. A well designed sadhana, or practice, offers balance and integration on a personal level throughout the various phases and ups and downs we all encounter in life.
Each day of this immersion will shine a light into the myriad of ways we may view the self with particular focus and exploration on how pain and confusion manifests in the physical form. Through experiential techniques, discussion, and hands-on applications, participants will gain a deeper understanding of how to tailor and evolve a personal practice that can remain vital and deeply supportive in the balance of the whole self over the entirety of one’s life.
This immersion includes:
- Daily guided asana, breath and meditation practices in an intimate setting with plenty of time given for individual needs and directions
- Clear and concise instructions that create a safe container for fluid and spontaneous inner observation and exploration
- Movement re-patterning and off-the-mat exploration using Bartenieff, Feldenkrais and other non-linear movement techniques
- Fascial exploration and release
- Philosophy readings and discussion, time for silence, deep listening
Application and Theory:
- Observing and understanding physical body imbalances in asana and everyday life
- The comprehension and implementation of a variety of tools to bring one toward balance:
- Specific, clear hands-on self- and partnered- adjustments which are highly personalized and comprehensive
- Why tensegrity and fascia matter when working with the body
- Therapeutic asana applications for a variety of injuries, imbalances and dis-eased conditions
- Chair and rope-wall set-ups for traction, isolation, support and release
- The skillful, creative and succinct use of props (blocks, blankets, bolsters, chairs, belts, etc.)
- Subtle-body work:
- Understanding and integrating bandhas
- Pranayama and kriya techniques and set-ups
- Buddhist Psychology, Philosophy and Mindfulness concepts and practices:
- Shamatha, Metta, Tonglen
- For teachers and health practitioners, there will be time throughout the immersion to practice and implement integrating this work with students and clients
Anya Porter’s intention is to act as a conduit for her students when she takes the seat of the teacher, guiding practitioners toward physical sustainability and mental curiosity, all underlined by the buddhist concepts of compassion and interdependence. Her work is grounded in the science of anatomy and physiology and yet seeks to speak to the artist’s heart through creative sequencing and exploration of postures (her signature Breakti® class is one example of this).
Anya began teaching movement at University in 2000 while simultaneously pursuing a degree in Plant Biology, and found her way to yoga through a dance-related injury in 2003. That injury changed the course of her life, and to this day she is fascinated and intrigued by the miraculous ability for the body, mind and heart to heal. Her studies and personal practice since that time have had particular emphasis in therapeutic applications of asana, and her deep desire to know and understand the mind and heart has led her to ongoing work in buddhist meditation, psychology and philosophy. After ten years of teaching and living in New York City, Anya relocated to Zurich, Switzerland with her husband in 2015. She teaches classes, workshops and trainings at AIRYOGA Zurich, in Europe, NYC, and around the world.
For more information please check-out www.anyaporter.com
Anya Porter will offer this immersion from January 25, to 28, 2018
at AIRYOGA, Fabrikstrasse 10 in 8005 Zurich.
Thursday, January 25, 2018 from 8:30am to 11:30am, and from 1:30pm to 5:30pm
Friday, January 26, 2018 from 8:30am to 11:30am, and from 1:30pm to 5:30pm
Saturday, January 27, 2018 from 8:00am to 10:00am, and from 2:00pm to 6:00pm
Sunday, January 28, 2018 from 8:30am to 10:30am, and from 2:00pm to 5:30pm
To apply, please share a simple paragraph stating your intention or reason for joining, a brief history of your personal practices (yoga, meditation, martial arts, sports, dance, etc.), any certifications or professional studies you may have done in yoga or other health-related fields, and any injuries or limitations you wish to share in advance. You can email your paragraph directly to email@example.com
Anya teaches in English.
The rate is Fr. 495.- fo all 8 sessions (25.5 hours total).
The immersion can only be booked as a whole.
Participantion is limited to 25 students.
Please note the reservation and cancelation policy for workshops at AIRYOGA.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org